I play multiple roles in this production we call life: husband, father, educator, outdoorsman, and incurable smartass. On the job, I’m associate professor in the School of Journalism & Mass Communication at Kent State University where I teach courses in public relations, writing and ethics.
Before KSU, I spent 16 years as a PR professional, most of it with counseling firms, including my own. Off the job, I pursue all sorts of outdoorsy stuff, including fishing, hunting, canoeing, kayaking, cross-country skiing, and cycling.
I generally keep my family life out of online discussions but love to brag about being married to the “perfect woman” for the past 32 years. She knows I worship her, but she almost never reads this blog, as she sees it as insane obsession that doesn’t come with a paycheck. Did I mention how very perceptive she is?
- 16 years as a PR professional, most of it in the counseling business, including 5 years as head of Sledzik & Associates, Buffalo, NY.
- 17 years on the faculty of Kent State, 11 of those as associate professor and coordinator of the Kent’s Public Relations Sequence.
- Member of PRSA since 1983, accredited in 1986, elected to the College of Fellows, 1996. Past president of two chapters, Buffalo-Niagara,1988, Akron Area, 1996. Now a somewhat disgruntled senior member wondering what I get for my national dues. That’s a story for another day.
- Significant accolades: PRSSA Teahan Award, 1994, for Outstanding Chapter Faculty Advisor, PRSSA; Public Relations Practitioner of the Year, 1992, Buffalo-Niagara Chapter of PRSA.
- Education: BSJ, Ohio University; MA, U of Buffalo
Hometown: Indiana, Pa.
Favorite band: The Grateful Dead
Favorite song: Won’t Get Fooled Again, The Who
“What you do speaks so loudly that I cannot hear what you say.” Ralph Waldo Emerson
“I got vision and the rest of the world wears bifocals.” Butch Cassidy
Favorite retort: F#*& ’em if they can’t take a joke!
What other folks have said about Sledzik: