Most of us know Kevin Dugan as one half of the Bad Pitch Blog, where he exposes the foibles of incompetent publicists. He’s also writes the popular Strategic Public Relations blog and has significant Twitter presence @prblog. Kevin is among the first bloggers who reached out to me when I jumped into the game, and he’s always been willing to share ideas.
Kevin sat with Andy and me late last summer to talk about the impact of social media PR and marketing communications. Because of his work on BadPitch, the interview skewed heavily to media relations. But not surprisingly, nearly every segment makes reference to staying on strategy or addressing audience needs. Social media are fine, he says, so long as they help you reach your objective.
Veteran social medialites may not find a lot of “news” in this discussion. Keep in mind that we filmed the series as a teaching tool for college students, not for veterans of the blog wars.
I’ve embedded 1 of the 9 clips into this post. You’ll find the others at the Sledzik-Curran Social Media Project on YouTube.
Thanks to Kevin for his time and energy — and for that great Donato’s Pizza lunch in Cincinnati!
Video segments featuring Kevin:
- What Reporters are Saying About PR People
- Relationships with Bloggers vs Mainstream Media
- Role of Social Networks in PR and Marketing Campaigns, Part 1
- Role of Social Networks in PR and Marketing Campaigns, Part 2
- How Bloggers Influence Mainstream Media Part 1
- How Blogs Influence Mainstream Media, Part 2
- The Value of Twitter
- The Importance of Content